It’s a good day for the Ask Away Friday, where bloggers swap 10 questions with each other, then post their answers for the world to see. The lovely Penny at The Real Housewife of Caroline County, the wondrous blogger who started Ask Away Friday 18 weeks ago, was kind enough to be my partner this week, and what follows are the answers to her intriguing queries.
You can find her answers to my questions here, where you will get drawn in by her stories of her husband’s beard, her two beautiful daughters and a fierce love for reality TV shows. She also talks about motherhood tips and beauty, along with great reviews and giveaways tailored to a family lifestyle.
And now, on with the interrogation…
1. What’s your favorite part of the holiday season? Decorations! My husband doesn’t agree with my philosophy that you should leave them up all year round, so I’m like a little kid in a candy store every year when he brings them in from storage.
2. Do you have a favorite present that you remember getting during Christmas? Why was it so special to you? I can’t honestly remember if this was a Christmas gift or not, but my grandmother got me one of those Barbie heads where you could do her makeup and hair and change it as often as you like. It was real-people size, so it was so fun. It was special because a) I never thought my grandmother paid attention to what I wanted and b) I never got to have Barbie stuff!
3. Do you travel for any of the holidays or do you have family come to you? Before we had kids, we were the ones who traveled. And we lived so far away from everyone else, I think it was just assumed we would travel. My husband and I always said once we had kids, those days were over. And outside of a day trip to his brother’s house for Thanksgiving, everyone comes to us.
4. Are you a get up SUPER early on Christmas morning or try to hold off on presents until the later afternoon? When I still lived at home, I actually cheated and got up early, went in the living room to see what Santa left, then went back to bed! Bad girl, right? Now, we just kind of let the girls tell us when it’s time to get up and since they don’t really understand Santa just yet, it’s pretty much normal hours. For now. But we definitely tackle presents first thing. Who wants to wait???
5. Any Christmas Eve traditions as a whole family? We have appetizers for dinner that the kids are allowed to eat in the living room. We load up and go look at Christmas lights, then come home and watch whatever Christmas movie we can agree on.
6. Okay, be honest, is there someone you DON’T look forward to seeing during this time of year? Oh, I don’t think I’ve been given clearance to answer this question.
7. What’s your favorite holiday movie? Of the modern movies, tie between Love, Actually and Elf. In the older genre, Christmas in Connecticut and Holiday Inn. Truthfully, I have a ton of favorites, but you probably didn’t want to read a 100-title list!
8. To date, what’s the “best” present you’ve given? Again, not sure it was my best, but one Christmas I was living in San Angelo, and there was a local jeweler there. I found some interesting and unusual pieces, and gave a ring to my mom, which was returned to me after her funeral. I love wearing that ring.
9. Do you fill the stockings? Any good ideas for stocking stuffers? It’s really a combined effort with my husband, because he is just as Christmas crazy as I am. As for ideas, we give everyone a “big small” gift in their stocking (DVD, gift card, book), along with scratch off lottery tickets (these are a big hit), candy, notepads, and little toys we find at the dollar store. If you can find trinkets of something they like (Hello Kitty, frogs, Justin Bieber, etc), that makes it all the more special.
10. For your present shopping do you do your shopping online or do you brave the malls? Definitely shop online if for no other reason than uniqueness. Some of the Etsy shops or jewelry designers only sell online, so you gotta go with that. Otherwise we utilize a lot of stand alone stores – Toys ‘R Us, Target, JCPenney, etc – and I do shop locally at the great stores we are fortunate enough to have in our downtown. I’m very big on finding one-of-a-kind gifts.
Got a question for me that Penny didn’t ask? Ask me in the comments, because you know I’ll tell you pretty much anything!
This was such fun! Thanks again to Penny for being my Ask Away Friday partner. You can see all the other bloggers and their responses in the linkup at Penny’s blog, where she keeps all the fun going.