Mike the Knight is downright mesmerizing

WWbuttonYes, it’s Wordless Wednesday. No, I’m not going to be able to be wordless, but you already knew that. I’m still going to dole out Wednesday Words of Wuv, so I’m joining Cyndi at Pictimilitude and changing it to Wonderful Wednesday.

I snapped this picture on Monday, after Thomas called me in the room while I was washing dishes.
my loves

The crew had settled in to watch “Mike the Knight,” because it’s got dragons and magic and knightly quests, just like daddy likes. Plus, it’s got a queen who runs the kingdom while her husband is off on knightly quests, a daughter who is learning to do magic, and lots of singing, just like toddlers like. “Mike the Knight, he’s a brave young hero.” Gah, I have that in my head now.

My husband grew up with two brothers, and now he has two daughters. I’m sure there are days he wonders what in the world to do with them, but instead of getting caught up in gender stereotypes, he opts to share boyish passions, like remote control cars, Lincoln Logs and Legos, wrestling, and episodes of “The Last Airbender” (the cartoon, not the movie). He’s also been known to chase them through the house laughing uproariously and sit at the craft table and bead jewelry, but don’t tell.

Yes, the 2 year old is biting her nails. She also bites her toenails. Yeah, ick. The 1 year old is clinging fast to her plastic pan and spoon, which she loves to wave around and/or bang on for entertainment. These are my peeps.

How about yours? Tell me about your posse in the comments.

There are many places to link up for Wordless Wednesday. Here’s a few parties I like to attend: Pictimilitude, Amanda’s Books and More, 5 Minutes for Mom, Wordless Wednesday, Wordless Wednesday Bloggers, Create With Joy, BeThere2Day, OhMyHeartsieReviews, That Suburban Momma.

Share Button
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Print Friendly
The following two tabs change content below.
Melissa Swedoski

Melissa Swedoski

Content Specialist at Home on Deranged
Specializing in Family Lifestyle, you'll find me mumbling my way through the mayhem of marriage and motherhood. Other ways to label me? Wife. Toddler Wrangler. Crazy lady. PR Friendly Brand Advocate. Offering insight, advice, product, book, tech, toys, travel & movie reviews and more. Giveaways, too!

Buffer

Comments

1. says

Love your post especially about hubby creating on your craft table. LOL thats neat!! Thank you for listing me in your follows this week, I appreciate it!! Hope to see you next week!
    Have a great weekend!
    Karre
    Karren Haller recently posted…Free Blogger Opp Relax & RefreshMy Profile

• Melissa Swedoski says

Thank you, Karen! You always have such interesting things going on at your blog. And I really like the new design!

2. says

Love! This picture is beyond adorable. Both of them in his lap!!
    Rachel recently posted…CatnapMy Profile

3. says

This picture could be titled, “Fatherhood’. It shows me that there are real fathers out there! :) My Husby is one of those. Playing ‘Troll-Under-the-Bridge’ with our six children. Pirates. Treasure Hunt. And now carrying on with our twelve grandkids. A little slower, a trifle less flexible, but still with love and dedication. Guys like that don’t come around every day. But it’s so good when they do . . .
    Diane recently posted…Teach ‘Em While They’re Young!My Profile

• Melissa Swedoski says

Thank you so much for saying that! I’ve really come to treasure just how amazing a father he is. And the more couples we hang around, I realize what a great husband he is. Now I just have to remember to tell him more often!

• Melissa Swedoski says

My husband came from a house of three sons, so his mom was outnumbered, whereas I only have one sister, so my dad was outnumbered. Not sure which one of us is more confused at this point. :)

4. says

My wordless Wednesdays are also never wordless, I can’t seem to do anything wordless. My 3 year old also chews his finger and toe nails, and my daughter did as well when she was younger,I think it is genetic because I was a nail biter too
    Kimbra recently posted…Another wordless Wednesday (almost…but not really)My Profile

• Melissa Swedoski says

My husband says I can’t do anything wordless, so there you go. I was a nail biter as well, although I kicked the habit. So I’m going to blame my husband, who does it when he’s nervous. :)

• Melissa Swedoski says

Ugh. She’s been scolded so many times, she just kind of laughs and shrugs now. Sigh.

• Melissa Swedoski says

Thanks so much for stopping by. Be careful with Mike the Knight – that theme song will stay in constant loop in your head!

5. says

Such a sweet picture, you have beautiful children! I’m with Stephanie on this one. My daughter isn’t very girly. She plays videos games that are typically for boys like Gears of War and Skyrim. Gender stereotypes are just so limiting, she’d miss out on so mucth! I’ve never heard of Mike the Knight, but Sam loves dragons so I’ll definitely have to look into it!
    Daughter of Maat recently posted…Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

• Melissa Swedoski says

Thank you so much! We kind of like them :) Yes, I agree as well. I’m just trying to figure out how you get around all that stuff, when it’s still just everywhere. And every gift people give them.

6. says

I hate gender stereotypes. I let the girls do whatever they feel like, and if they feel like playing with cars or have a toy story birthday party, power to them (my friend recently posted an adorable picture of her little son carrying two of his sister’s dolls in wraps, too cute!!). I might have to check out Mike the Knight, sounds like something we would enjoy…
    Stephanie @ Life, Unexpectedly recently posted…Happy Tuesday!My Profile

• Melissa Swedoski says

Agree completely on gender stereotypes. The world does nothing but skew our view, and it must be terribly confusing to little kids just trying to have fun. My girls never get to see boys, so I wonder what they would do if I found some for them on a playdate? hmmm…

7. says

Oh I love not being wordless. What is the point of having a blog without words ;)

My hubs is the father to two little girls as well. It is always funny when the hunter has to play with Barbies!
    Kerri recently posted…This one is for Syd….My Profile

• Melissa Swedoski says

Right?? I did see a really cool photoblog today of a dad and his adventures with his 4 year old, but guess what? He still had words. ;)
      My husband isn’t a hunter, but it is funny when they try to help him put furniture together. Or play the alien horde in his video game.

8. says

love the pix…it is adorable.

I am a minority in my household with all the boys high in adrenaline…lol

Got used to it, now ;)

happy wednesday!
    ruchira recently posted…Aah! A Wonderful WednesdayMy Profile

• Melissa Swedoski says

Isn’t it funny how so many households are one way or the other? I grew up with one sister, so my dad was outnumbered with three females. My husband has two brothers, so his mom was way outnumbered. I guess you just get used to what you are given. :)

9. says

What a lovely image and a great Wonderful Wednesday initiative! I absolutely love the paragraph before the last one, where you talk about how your husband doesn’t get caught up in gender stereotypes but just does with them what comes naturally. I think it’s so important for kids to sense a parent’s passion and the subject of that passion can be anything that the kid can remotely relate to. The passion will become contagious, I’m sure. I’ve identified with your husband reading this. As a mom of two boys I often feel that playing with them doesn’t come naturally to me and then the minute I stop thinking and just let myself be, like your husband, that’s when we have the most fun.
    Katia recently posted…Chivalry’s Not Dead. Now What Do We Do About It?My Profile

• Melissa Swedoski says

Completely agree. I know he was so nervous when we found out we were having a girl, but he’s discovered that it’s not that much different as long as you love them. Although he really enjoys being called “Daddy” with little eyes batting at him!

10. says

First off, my girls love Mike the Knight, too. Second my husband is lose in sea of x chromosomes and estrogen here, too. So, yes in our house can so relate and and is pretty much similar around these parts, too. Oh and loved how you called them “Your Peeps!” Too cute :)
    Janine Huldie recently posted…Giggly, Fun Loving Emma & Lily Early Summer 2011My Profile

• Melissa Swedoski says

I like Evie, but Mike? I find him slightly annoying. He’s supposed to be learning lessons, but it doesn’t seem like he does. And as for the hubs…his influence is most definitely felt. Where else would they learn wrestling? ;)

Trackbacks